10.02.2008

What was I thinking?!

Last spring, in 07, I was working at SOA, and a co-worker was telling me about open enrollment at UAS. I thought, hey cool, I should get out there and sign up for Spanish. Yes, my husband is from Mexico, and no, he is not teaching me Spanish. Why you ask? Well, I couldn't tell you. I could tell you what I think it is, I think it is because he learned English by hearing it and talking on his own. He doesn't know the grammar or the proper translation for a lot of words. Even to this day, I am teaching him the right translation for things. He knows the translation in general, but the exact words he doesn't know. I can understand that~ a lot of what I learned at first was from listening to him and his friends and family speaking in Spanish. I knew what they meant in general (and sometimes I thought they meant something completely different!) but I didn't know the exact translation. Speaking of great English, I am currently listening to Gov. Sarah Palin's debate with Biden. Can she use "also" and "though" more?! Yes, she is my Governor, and no~ I won't be voting for her and McCain.

OK, so I was out at UAS trying to sign up for a class in Spanish, and walked away signed up and enrolled in an AAS Business degree program. Now how I ask you, did that happen? Wow, my head was spinning when I left, and still to this day I don't know how it all happened. But it did. I started with a summer course, I thought: one class, I can handle that. I took Math 055 (yes, I am very bad at math~good thing I work in Payroll huh!?!) OK-Math 055. Wow, it had been 14 years since I was in high school, and whammo! I was right in the middle of all the things I remembered hating (strong term, I know) with all that I am. I was always in the higher levels of English, but only in the regular classes in Math all through school. So here I was, in math class all summer long. UGH! Last time I ever took a summer course. Here is what my life was like last summer: work school homework sleep work school homework sleep work eat homework school work sleep...I mean school homeworksleepworkclasshomeworksleepsleepsleep it was the longest summer of my life that went by very quickly. Did I mention that my frontal lobe (forehead) got tingly sometimes? Some of those problems about killed me! Here is a picture of what my little table looked all summer long:

In the fall of 07 I took Accounting 201, and Spanish 101. Then in the spring semester of 08 I took Accounting 202 and Spanish 102. I then took the summer off, so that I could live a life and keep my sanity. I am currently (fall semester) taking Spanish 201{just a thought-I don't remember why I liked English in high school- this grammar stuff is hard!} in class course and Business 151. I wanted to take a small business course, but would have had to take it in class, thought about how my summer went and sanity won out. Online course=own schedule=sanity. Now that I put it all down on paper (screen) I don't feel like it is so overwhelming. I think I can I think I can I think I can........

No comments: